Thursday, February 13, 2014

Donuts!


It's donut season! Get out your biggest pot and your vegetable oil, and let's get frying. This is my mom's recipe, so it's pretty awesome.

Okay, I'm not actually making these right now, and I still have yet to make them successfully because the last time I tried, I didn't have one of these. 

(c) Susan Elizabeth (Mom)
They seriously make all the difference in the world. The heat of the oil when frying ANYTHING is VERY important. A fact I didn't know and tried to figure out on my own. Do not make this mistake.

Here's my mom's donut recipe for all you donut lovers out there. You will appreciate this.

1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 T. + 1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 T. oil
3 1/2 cups flour

Fill your pot about 4 inches deep with vegetable oil. 

Mix the milk, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, egg and oil together in a large bowl. Gradually add the flour, using just enough so that the dough is firm enough to handle yet as soft as possible. (I used all the 3 1/2 cups of flour, but needed more for the rolling out process)

Cover and chill for 1 hour. 

Turn out onto a floured board and knead for a few minutes. Roll out to about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 3 inch rounds. Place on a tray covered with waxed paper that has been lightly floured.

Heat oil to *380 degrees. 
*this temperature is CRITICAL for perfect frying conditions.

Fry 3-4 donuts at a time, turning them when one side is golden brown and browning the other side.

Drain on paper towels and dust with sugar while hot. (I put about a cup of sugar into a lidded plastic container and shake donut till covered)

And there you have it! My mom's a genius. I stole both photos in this post from her, but gave her credit. 
For more amazing homestyle recipes, visit her cooking blog Join Us At The Table. She stopped updating a while ago, but there are plenty of great recipes still available - take advantage of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment