Friday, April 4, 2014

Flowerpot DIY


I've never had a lot of plants. I've tried to maintain a garden in the past and failed miserably - it always ended up full of weeds and plants I didn't plant by the end of the summer. 

However, last winter someone from work gave me a tiny succulent plant with pink flowers. My coworker re-potted it for me and it grew bigger and more beautiful as I took care of it, and I did my best! I watered it regularly and made sure it was in the sun for as much time as possible. It brightened up my room so much.


I left this plant home when I moved to AR, so I bought another one (yellow this time). I've managed to keep it alive, but just barely. I replanted it in a glass jar with some dirt and coffee grounds and it's survived the winter, but I needed to buy some soil and re-pot it as soon as possible. Also my roommate needed her basil plant re-potted. My coworker at the museum gave me some pots she didn't want (what's with all the gardening coworkers?), so I snatched at the opportunity for a new DIY! Together with my tacky glue pen and some mercerized cotton thread, I was able to spruce up these plain pots with some cute detailing.

Honestly, this sweet springtime craft is so easy you don't even need to know any special skills. Really. All you need is a little creativity and some simple supplies!

You will need:
Two clay pots
Glue pen
Mercerized cotton thread, size 3
Red paint
Foam brushes
Plastic bowl or plate for paint and glue
Mod Podge or watered-down glue

Black Curlicues Pot


Snip some lengths of thread. With the glue pen, draw curlicues and swirls on your pot, working one at a time. Lay your thread along the glue paths, lightly letting the thread cling to the glue. Trim your ends as soon as you finish each curlicue, and build off it in order to keep the design continuous. Continue this method around the pot until you're satisfied with the results. Allow to dry completely.


Red Flowered Pot


Pour some paint into a plastic bowl or plate. Using a foam brush, coat your pot evenly with the paint in smooth strokes. Allow to dry. Coat the pot with Mod Podge or lightly watered glue and allow to dry again.  


With the glue pen, outline flowers around your pot, one at a time. Snip some lengths of thread and lay along the glue paths, lightly letting the thread cling to the glue. Trim the ends as soon as you've finished each petal. Continue this method around the pot until you're satisfied with the results. Allow to dry completely.


Voila! I'm going to be honest here...even though I had you seal the red pot with Mod Podge, you may not want to keep these pots outside. They are for indoor plants, and therefore more for decoration than hardcore service. Enjoy them!

Also I bought a giant new succulent when I went to Walmart to buy soil. I couldn't resist! The flowers are differently shaped and such a gorgeous red color. Love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment