Tuesday, June 10, 2014

DIY Watercolor Mat Frames


I don't know about you, but I'm pretty poor. (Life of a creative, right?) I have all this artwork I want to put on the walls, but no money for frames or even a hammer and nails. At least, no money that I can justify spending on such drivel. The solution? I'm a creative, remember - obviously, make my own! 

I nearly used cardboard from a shoebox, but decided to use cardstock instead. I have lots of it and can make lots of frames for very little money. Here's how I did it!

You will need:
Cardstock
Scissors
Pencil
The artwork of your choice
Tape
Watercolors


Trace your artwork onto the cardstock, about 1.5 inches in from the edge of the cardstock. You will have to trim the top of the paper, and perhaps a bit of the side. 



Next measure in 0.25 inches from the first traced line, and trace a smaller square inside the larger one.


Carefully poke a hole in the center of the cardstock, making sure not to bend or warp the paper. Cut around the smaller inside square.



Flip the frame around so that the pencil marks don't show.


Start watercoloring!



Carefully tape your artwork to the back of the frame and admire!


No comments:

Post a Comment