Saturday, May 17, 2014

White Chicken Chili


Mmmm. The chilly, rainy days of spring require hearty food, I say. Fall may be the time for rich stews and comfort food, but I think the raw, wet weather of springtime warrants a hot meal too. This chili hit the spot for me. I remember my cousin making a similar dish a few years ago, and I wanted to try re-creating it. With a little tweaking of two different recipes I came up with this delicious winner!

Ingredients:
1 large boneless/skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded/chopped
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
A little olive oil
Half a carton of chicken broth
1 Tblsp flour combined with 1 Tblsp water
2 cans Great White Northern beans
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk/half & half
1/2 cup sour cream
Pepper jack for serving

Prepare your chicken. I like to season my chicken with salt and pepper, brown it in a frying pan and finish it in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes. Shred it or chop it, depending on your preference, and set aside.

Finely chop the onion and dice the bell pepper. Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and saute the vegetables until onion is translucent and pepper is tender. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add the flour/water mixture and stir until thickened. Add chicken, beans, water, and milk, and heat through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in sour cream. I also shook in a few drops of Louisiana hot sauce - completely optional!

Serve with grated or sliced pepper jack cheese, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment